Newmarket Chiropractor on Sciatica
A good number of people who visit our Newmarket chiropractor come in for treatment of sciatica. It is quite a common condition; in fact, research shows that about 10% of the people who visit chiropractors do so because of pain related to sciatica.
Think you have sciatica? – call 905 478 2225
Dr. Lemasurier will be happy to talk to you about it
Sciatica is characterized by pain that radiates from the lower back and shoots through the buttocks and the legs. Some people feel numbness and tingling in the legs. It can affect one or both legs and the level of pain varies; for some people, it is mild while in others it can be severe. In fact, in some people it occurs only from time to time. The pain is related to problems with the sciatic nerve, which runs from the back through to the legs. Most people describe it as a dull ache that doesn’t go away.
Although many people think of sciatica as a condition, it is actually a symptom that something else may be wrong with your lower back area. Our Newmarket chiropractor will work to identify the cause of the pain. There are several reasons one can suffer sciatica:
- You could have damage or inflammation of the sciatic nerve which mostly happens because of a herniated disc.
- Injuries to the back can trigger pain in the sciatic nerve. These can range from something as minor as a small fall or something as serious as a car accident.
- In very rare cases, sciatica will be caused by a tumor near the sciatic nerve.
- It is not uncommon to see sciatica in older people who do a lot of physical activity.
- Pregnancy and child birth are also common causes of the condition because of the increased pressure to the spine.
What does our Newmarket chiropractor do for sciatica patients
The first and most important course of action, as already mentioned, is to find out the cause of the sciatica. They do this by getting a full history of the pain. If necessary, they may take x-rays or CT scans (this is done if they are not able to immediately locate the cause of the pain).
Next, they will choose a course of treatment. Treatments vary depending on the kind of sciatica that a patient is experiencing. Here are some of the common treatments that our Newmarket chiropractic offers.
- If the pain is mild and there is no extensive damage, ice treatment will work. It helps you manage the pain until the inflammation is gone.
- They can also use ultrasound. It is a form of mild heat treatment that increases blood circulation, which in turn helps to stop pain and relax the muscles in the lower back.
- If the cause of the sciatica is a herniated disc, our chiropractor will manipulate the spine to put the disc back in place. This is a very effective method of treatment. Manipulation does several things: it helps with blood circulation, it relaxes the muscles around the pain area, it reduces muscle spasms, it controls nerve irritability and it helps with a lot of other symptoms that come with sciatica.
Watch this brief video on sciatica treatments.
If you are wondering whether adjustments are painful, they are not. The chiropractor works to slowly loosen the muscles and gradually, he is able to completely remove the pain. There are several adjustment procedures and our Newmarket chiropractor decides on which adjustment procedure to use depending on the kind of sciatica that a patient has. He can choose to use gentle pressure or he can use swift thrusts – none of these methods of adjustment is painful. In cases where the cause of sciatica is something serious, like a tumor, the chiropractor will advise you to seek medical attention right away.
One great benefit of using our Newmarket chiropractor is that he communicates with all his patients so that they can learn how to manage their condition. He explains what caused the pain in the first place and what you should do to prevent the pain from coming back.
Since chiropractic benefits the whole body, you will do more than treat your sciatica; you will be more relaxed, you will have better blood circulation, you will be more active and your bones will become stronger with every treatment.Although it is not considered a chronic condition, sciatica can affect the quality of your life. The constant pain will distract you. It could also be a sign of something more serious. If you experience any of the symptoms described here, it is wise that you call us immediately for an appointment. Lastly, don’t ignore pain that comes and goes; it could be an indication that your sciatic nerve is slowly getting inflamed, and you are better off treating it before it gets worse.
My name is Dr. Peter Lemasurier, but patients call me Peter. I am a chiropractor in Newmarket, Ontario. For more than 25 years I have treated many patients who suffer from sciatica with great results. Don’t hesitate to call me at 905 478 2225. I’d be happy to discuss your situation over the phone or in person at our clinic.